Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Unusual To See On A Child's Marker

Located at Mt. Salem Cemetery aka Salem Cemetery in Elkins, AR.
When I first seen this marker I thought it was a military marker. Because that is the first thing I think of when I see and eagle holding a flag. Then I read the inscription.  Deffinately not a military stone unless they recruited three year olds in the 1880s. (The bird could possibly be a dove.) 
Liley May
Daughter of
A.M. & S.H. Harris
Died
June 29, 1881
Aged
3 Years
9 Months 1 day

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tammi,

    Yes I would have thought it was a military decoration too,
    Well spotted.....

    I think it could possibly be a Pelican, for the pelican represents the self-sacrifice of parenting and therefore the greatest love of a parent for it's child.
    Pelicans are often shown feeding their young from their own breast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fascinating marker. Certainly the exception rather than the rule when it comes to the meaning of a flag on a gravestone!

    ReplyDelete